Sunday, February 1, 2009

February 1, 2009 - The new checkbook cover


One of this week's adventures has been the mysterious loss of my checkbook. Unfortunately, it was dark blue with a Wells Fargo logo....and I also have a dark blue business checkbook. None of us is sure if I truly lost it or just confused the two and caused the mix up. In any event, I had the pleasure of cancelling one account, opening a new one and copying entries from November 20th to the present off what was available online.
When I was done, I decided I didn't want the two accounts to look alike...and started hunting for a distinctive checkbook cover for my main account. No such luck---did you know the bank wants $29.95 for a leather checkbook cover? (The only alternative to their cheap "free" covers).
Although my new sewing skills are shaky, I decided to try and make a cover (how hard could it be....right?).
Actually turned out to be a little harder than I thought. I didn't know how to get my batting in the middle after I'd sewn the three layers together (I do now, though). No big deal...I just added another layer to fix the problem. When completed, it was a little more snug for fit than I'd hoped, but I made a slit in the middle and put in the cheap "free" cover and the cheks and register. Ta Da....an absolute masterpiece~
I was so proud of myself....I showed Roger this clever creation and asked for some praise (dumb girl).....what I got instead was a critique and comment that it needed a clasp to curtail the "curling". Well!
After a short deliberation (he did, in fact, have a point)....I decided that one of Anna's beautiful hair ties was EXACTLY the right color and would do the trick and save more sewing. It did and I love the checkbook cover.
If I ever make another cover, I'd have a better idea of what to do. I might actually try and do one with some free motion stippling on the cover.

No comments: