Monday, March 28, 2011

Chickie Update March 28, 2011

I suppose I should quit calling them "Chickies" pretty soon...they're HUGE! You can get an idea by looking at the sizes on the feeders. A Plymouth Bardrock is a big chicken, so as big as they're looking, they're probably only about half grown. Today was their first day outside for a full day. Our weather's been so lousy, they've only had a couple hours in the yard at a time. Rog actually put them out about 7:30 this morning and they were out until he came home again around 8pm. He came home at noon to check on them but said they appeared thrilled to be outside. They can actually fly fairly well and we finally had one clear the short pen (she was outside the fence pictured here and 'snuggling' with the fence trying to get back in! The only one we can identify enough to know that it belongs to one of the kids is the pullet Anna picked...she's darker and a lot smaller than the others (and was when Anna picked her).

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Anna's New Purse

Miss AnnaBell's new denim purse....she wears overalls a lot...this is Grandma's attempt to 'feminize' and make it look more girly (this little one is fashion-conscious...nobody has any idea where she got it!)

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Yard pen, coop, chickies








I see I haven't blogged in awhile....chickies must be about a month old. Wore out their 'indoor' welcome last night by waking Rog at 2:30 and keeping him up the rest of the night.
We put them outdoors in their "pen" for a couple hours, then one hour in the new coop (can't say they were impressed). I think their feet are actually too small for the roost so they were struggling with the wire at the bottom. He's actually stringing a light and setting them up in the garage for at least a few more weeks.
They're lots of fun....running around outside and heard a neighbor's dog...froze and started chirping for Mom (me). Very cute.
Rog is off to the dentist today...looks like he's decided to pull that molar for now instead of working on it. His pain level is still pretty high and they can't find any infection...need to get the tooth out of there and see if the pain stops. They want about $2K for a root canal and crown or $2K for a permanent bridge...I think he's opting for the bridge.
So far, our day off (meant for chores) has produced a nice breakfast out, errands and WalMart and playing with chickens. Oh well, the paperwork will wait another day!